Monday, February 9, 2009

Integration I

I left my new local Marrocan hallal butcher with lamb chops and went to the greengrocer next door to have garlics. Nobody was there to serve.. I knocked on the counter... coughed slightly and after no response i gave voice to a loud i hallo!!?
...Nothing happened. So I putted my head in the back of the shop and repeated my hallo!!? to the man standing right in front of me.
But what was wrong? He didn´t appear to hear me since he didn´t react at all.
Was the poor guy deaf...?
Then - hallo Dummy - his bare feets and the carpet on the floor caught my eyes - he was praying.
How stupid am I! Welcome to Nørrebro.
I made a descreet retreat to the shop, waiting for him to finish his religious praxis to do some bussiness, while I tried to imagined myself (when I were working as the eco girl in the greengrocer Kong Gulerod) likewise totally ignoring my customers, because I were meditating... Impossible!
I got into a Hmpf-impatient-intollerant-mood and left the garlics.
As I crossed the street, he came out of the shop looking for me with a big smile.
I melted, turned and apologized for disturbing him, while he apologized too as I got my garlics and a laugh.
I think I kind of like my new neighbourhood though I´m the foreigner not really familiar with the culture.

No comments:

Followers