Sunday, August 31, 2008

Duty & silk

What five years of Theology studies never gave me, a bicycle ride to Nørrebro did this weekend.
What started in the genre of Sex and the City-philosophy took a turn to an understanding of a Kierkegaard thought, wich I untill yesterday never really came to terms with.
The case is an imminent wedding of a friend - and the fact, that I hate weddings.
Or I hate, what weddings do to me, and I found myself in a monologue on my bike argueing for the point, that a wedding invitation in fact should include the right to bring a companion.
A rule that seems to be current in Sex and the City, where Carrie never finds herself at a wedding only accompanied by a pair of Manolo Blahniks. Either the girl friends are on the guest list among all the oh-so-in-love-couples, or she naturally brings a pink suited gayfriend as a companion.
I was wishing for this very human wedding rule to be common in my context while almost peaking the disgust of weddings. Then a new thought caught me:
Hey, come on... when it happens – the wonder, where hearts, bodies, heads – and the fucking timing - meet in a lovely clash - then time necessarily has to be stopped, all the rituals available are needed to celebrate and mark, and most important – the beloved friends should definitely share that wonder with you!

The wonder seems to be the case with my friend now.... and Kierkegaard suddenly showed up in my mind saying
Love is duty.

So according to Søren K, I found it is my duty to go shopping.
I will be a good friend and celebrate with joy and style.
Few will recognize my discomfort, wich will be dressed up in silk and silvery shoes.
That´s how duty and pleassure sometimes meet in unpredictable ways.

Kjerlighedens Gjerninger 1847/Works of love

No comments:

Followers